"Autogrill" is the name of one of Europe's largest restaurant chains. Established in 1977 as the brain-child of Mario Pavesi (see Pavesi), it caters to the needs of motorway travellers throughout Italy. Initially, the objective was to merge and integrate the activities of a number of firms in the sector with different traditions and policies, including "Autogrill Pavesi", "Autogrill Motta" and "Autobar Alemagna" into a single business organisation. The Autogrill restaurants straddling Italian motorways have become a familiar sight and so popular as to induce the firm to open also open downtown outlets. The first "road-side" diner was opened by Pavesi along the Milan-Turin motorway nearby Novara, his birthplace; in 1959, the first characteristic "cross-motorway" establishment was built on the A1 motorway at Fiorenzuola d'Arda close to Piacenza. With the merger of Motta, Pavesi, and Alemagna in 1977 the trade-marks of the three companies were not replaced but merely combined to form the Autogrill trade-mark. Management policy at this stage was mainly aimed at not confusing the consumer and strengthening the chain concept. Once the transition was safely accomplished company strategy changed and a single trade-mark was consistently adopted to strengthen conumer awareness and fidelity. The initial triangular shaped trade-mark comprised three elements symbolising the merger. In 1995 Autogrill became part of the Benetton group and a new trade-mark was designed by Giorgio Galli the following year to underscore the change in ownership. It now only portrays an imposing letter "A" with a wavy horizontal line in conjunction with the logotype in lower case Futura.