"Montedison" was established as a holding company by the merger of Edison and Montecatini in 1966. Business activities: farm produce and food, power, chemicals, engineering. Edison was established in Milan in 1884 and was to play a conspicuous role in the power supply sector. Its original mark includea a shield with two arrows and the company's name. In 1934, on the occasion of Edison's 50th anniversary, a new mark was adopted, that was inspired by mythological motifs and portrayed two rampant centaurs as if rearing up at the flash of a spark. Montecatini itself had been founded in Florence in 1888 to exploit the copper mines at Montecatini Val di Cecina (Pisa). It was subsequently to expand its business interests to mining in general, chemicals, metal processing, power production and pharmaceuticals. In the 1930s the corporation had its own trade-mark that portraying an alembic, the traditional symbol of chemistry, with a motif typical of metallurgy. A restyling operation was undertaken in 1960 by the graphic designer Carlo Dradi. The alembic was streamlined and combined with the letter "M", the overall effect being to harmonise corporate name and business activity. After the merger a new trade-mark was devised including a monogram with the initial letters of the new company that has been known since the beginning with the name "Montedison". Since 1972, when the company's name became official, the group's identity, developed by Landor Associates, has been borne by four graphic elements next to the logotype in typical Montedison-style, the so-called "aquilotto" (see Standa). As if bearing witness to their partnership, the Shell and Montedison trade-marks were displayed together in 1987. After Montedison discontinued its business, in 2003, from the merging of major corporations a new company was created, Edison, that is going to become a leading actor in the energy industry in Italy. Edison's mark was developed by Area Strategic and includes a green "e" made out of arcs, to evoke the circular shape of the Earth or the Sun, i.e. the original sources of energy. The dynamic design of the mark contrasts to the sound and neutral logo in capital Akzidenz Grotesk characters. The company is controlled since 2012 by the EDF group (Electricité de France), the European leader in electrical and promoter sector the energy transition towards a low carbon future. To make sense of the new positioning of the company, in 2016 it changed the logo that is borrowed from that of the group of membership; the reference to the centrality of the person it is represented by the choice of a soft and human trait of orange brush strokes. The name uses letters blue with the "e" while the initial letters upper case.