The idea of flight evoked by the eagle in the trade-mark is part of the house's history right from the start. Carlo Guzzi, Giorgio Parodi and Giovanni Ravelli, the three men who in 1921 decided to set up shop at Mandello sul Lario in the Province of Como, had been aviators during the First World War. The first and the then as yet experimental model turned out by the house sported a rhombus and the initials "GP" on the tank. Only Guzzi's and Parodi's initials appeared because the third partner had in the meantime died in a plane crash. The mythical eagle that first appeared in 1924 was indeed meant to commemorate their unfortunate companion who had died in flight. Then, Giorgio Parodi concerned that the initials alone could be mistaken for his name only insisted that the new motorcycles bear the full family name of his companion thus giving rise to the brand-name "Moto Guzzi". In the trade-mark, the eagle was superimposed on the logotype made up with block and serif lettering. The names adopted for the various models of motorcycles produced by the house at the time were all referred to birds thus picking up on the eagle theme of the trade-mark. Falcone, Astore, Airone, and Condor strongly suggested the ideas typically associated with these animals of aero-dynamics and freedom. In 1957 the eagle appeared above a notched wheel with the brand-name in a circular arrangement. In 1958 the "Del Gambalunga" logo appears, which, due to its style, is wrongly believed to have its roots in the Fascist period. In the 1976 restyling operation the eagle was streamlined, the lettering outlined, and only the logotype was affixed to the motorcycles. But this restyling was not to meet with popular approval and in 1994 the house reverted to its historical trade-mark set in a red oval. In 2007 the restyling of the logo, entrusted to the Metalli Lindberg graphic agency, with a three-dimensional version.