"Società anonima Magazzini Standard" was the first name given to the firm by the Monzino family at the opening of its department store in Turin in 1931. In its drive for linguistic purity, however, the Fascist government was unfavourable to the English word "Standard" so that it was replaced by the Italian-sounding "Standa", which was indeed the acronym of the firm's new name "Società tutti articoli nazionali dell'arredamento e abbigliamento" where items of furniture and clothing were sold at a fixed, standard price in all its outlets. Expansion on a grand scale set in after the war and many more new retail outlets were opened throughout Italy. In 1958 it was already the leading domestic department store chain and was the first to introduce shopping-trolleys in its self-service grocery stores. The first trade-mark featuring visually high-impact upper case lettering was brought out in this year. In 1973 the chain was taken over by Montedison so that its logotype now featured the lettering and trade-mark typical of the holding company (see Montedison). When purchased by the Fininvest group in 1988 it adopted the group's mark of identity characterised by the serpent figure, and later it was to use only the logotype as its sign of distinction. In 1996 image restyling by Landor Associates brought a trade-mark with softer lettering and new signs for the various commodity sectors. Lettering was changed above all with the aim of shaking off a look that had acquired a strong "industrial" connotation, but in some way continuity with the past had to be retained. It was decided to change the name to "La Standa", the addition of the definitive article conferring upon it a definitely colloquial ring and turning into a familiar everyday name as if to say "The Store". Standa-brand products also underwent restyling and were given a label depicting a twin green leaf meant to evoke in the consumer the idea of nature and genuine quality.