The firm's first factory was opened in 1948 at Muggiò in the Province of Milan by Regolo Fossati for the processing of canned meat and instant stock extracts. The name "Star", as it was officially called, stands for "Stabilimenti Alimentari Riuniti". But it was also the English translation of "Stella", the name of Regolo's wife. Their only son, Danilo, turned the small firm into a national concern thanks to a veritable block-buster, the meat stock cube, the exclusive formula of which he had acquired from a brilliant chemist, Giovanni Nughes. The price of meat to the average Italian in the post-war years was prohibitive and the new product was an excellent and affordable surrogate. The firm's first trade-mark was designed by Gino Pesavento in 1950. Its eye-catching lettering with a touch of serifs was enclosed by a neat frame. In 1952 the same designer also created the packaging for a product called "doppio brodo Star" ("double stock Star"). The figure of a housewife on the package was to become a household icon in the years following. In the sixties the firm was especially tuned in to domestic consumer trends and patterns and to developments in the Italian food industry. With the economic boom in full swing, in 1965 it was decided that the trade-mark had to be renewed. The task was given to Augusto Maestri who adopted lettering without serifs enclosed in a frame reminiscent of those that were once typical of the sign-boards of old-style family-run restaurants, evocative of a warm, homely atmosphere. In view of the evolution in consumer demands and product standards, in 1971 Star entered into a business alliance with SME, the powerful state-owned, food-industry finance corporation of the IRI group. In 1988 it was decided that the trade-mark needed modernising. In the new trade-mark red stood for the firm's dominant colour, green for that of its front-line product, the stock cube, and together they represented "Star", a thoroughly Italian tradition. There was also a strip with band in the same colours with the wording "prodotti alimentari" ("food products"). Another partnership got under way with Danone the following year. Brand awareness and product certification raised a whole new set of visual identity issues. Landor Associates was hence enlisted in 1991 to adequately restyle the trade-mark. Their device comprised red lettering against a white background for maximum legibility and a frame formed by a thin green line with rounded-off corners laid out horizontally and traversed by a yellow and green band. Wording and frame appear in relief against the band, an effect obtained by clever shading. In a further restyling operation in 2002 the bi-chrome band was deleted, while the frame appears lither and the tips of the lettering, always in block-style, have been rounded off. In 2009 the logo is made fitter to the existing trends with the adding of two yellow later elements. In 2013 the last restyling, by Vittorio Mancini & Associati, which consisted of a disburdening of the whole composition.